Monday, September 13, 2010

Back Wrap Cross Carry (BWCC)

My previous attempts at BWCC were disastrous. I just don't like chest belts--they always dig my bony breastbone, and I don't like the restrictive "cap sleeves" that end up over both shoulders. This time, I decided to focus on two things: doing the ruck strap version, and getting Max up high. I hadn't realized before that it was possible to do this carry high, but saw some pics of older babies comfortably riding up high, rucksack-style, so I decided to try it. (Obviously, a small, floppy baby would have to sit lower, with passes going over his shoulders. But Max hates this, and if he isn't high enough to see over my shoulder, he leans ridiculously from side to side so that he can see around me, LOL.)

DH, for height comparison.
It worked! It's a really nice carry, one that I venture to say that I prefer to a ruck, and possibly even a DH if I don't figure out how to keep DHs from sagging. I walked the same course outside that I tried with the ruck earlier, and this carry only sagged a tiny bit (I took before and after pics to make sure!), and some of that is probably because I played around with two different tie-offs. I definitely prefer to tie Tibetan for this one, as the ruck straps dig otherwise. Plus, the tails look really pretty hanging down :)
BWCC


My only complaint is that I got a pinching between my shoulder blades, which I also get when I wear a high ruck. I think I might avoid this by wrapping tighter against my body for support (or wearing him lower, which might happen naturally as he gets taller).

EDIT: Hmm, now looking at these pics, he isn't actually all that high. Maybe the problem is that he's too LOW, and that's why I feel pulling on my shoulders. Hrrmmm....

One trick I want to remember for the ruck strap version of this carry is that I started the carry with Max in a back rebozo, keeping the second tail OVER my shoulder until it was time to move it below and do the over-shoulder flip. This is what made it possible to prevent sagging while wrapping. This video shows it.

No comments:

Post a Comment