Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rebozo hip carry

I had tried this one many times before, so I should have it down pat...but I don't, really. I much prefer ring slings for rebozo-style carries because of the easy adjustability and padded shoulder (not that my ring slings are padded, but the gathering and stitching at the shoulder does act as padding). But I admit I prefer the look and simplicity of a rebozo knot, and the fact that a shorty wrap can also be used for back carries (so you really only need one short wrap for a variety of uses). However, I don't own a shorty, so I used my 3.6m Turkish Delight again for these pics. TD is a good rebozo wrap; it is grippy but slides enough through the slip knot to make it adjustable. It's reasonably supportive for 21-lb Max in a single-layer carry. I've also liked my 4.1m gray Natibaby Pearl as a rebozo, but it is way too long. I've considered chopping it, but it would probably be smarter to just sell it and buy a 2.7m rebozo-length wrap, if I were going to use it much. However, Max is too much of a leg-straightener to do back carries with a rebozo right now (I'm sure I'll talk more about that when I get to the series of back carries), so I probably won't go for a shorty anytime soon.

I found that the key for rebozo carries seems to be to tie the wrap on so that it looks like there's almost no room for the baby. Then you barely have to adjust it once the baby is in the pocket. I did find that I tended to want to flip the outside edge of the shoulder, rather than tighten that bit of the wrap. It seemed like it was more comfy on my shoulder, as well as holding the rail tighter. I'm probably doing something wrong for it to work better flipped like that, but it made the shoulder cup nicely and wasn't overly fussy to do, so I think it's an OK variation. You'll notice the flip in some of the pics.

OK, pics! We had just rolled out of bed, so these are awful, but you get the idea:

Hip carry. Pretty comfy if it is TIGHT and HIGH. Moldable wraps work best for this; you can see the outline of Max's diaper because the wrap is molded so nicely to his back.
Couldn't resist this funny shot! The back carry--just slide the baby around from your hip and tighten a bit. Not all that secure, but good for short-term wearing.
That knot is really diggy, unfortunately for my boob.
The other side. Note the shoulder flip. I could probably tighten more to avoid it, but it was also helping to keep the wrap from digging into my neck.
Pretty nice pocket, only a little crooked.
Lastly, tummy-to-tummy. I did all this without retying the wrap. Quite easy.
Of course, Max wanted to nurse in T2T.
So I easily lowered him for nursing, although you can't tell what he's doing :). My favorite thing about rebozo (and RSs) is the easy nursing and built-in cover of the tails.
Rear view. Another key to rebozo is a well-spread pass around your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment