Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Front Wrap Cross Carry (FWCC) and Variations

This is another carry I had done quite a bit before, although today I realized I had actually been doing the Pocket Wrap Cross Carry variation. I loved this when Max was little but hadn't tried PWCC since then. I've tried FWCC a handful of times since then. I have difficulty getting it really tight with a woven wrap, as you can see in the photo. I walked around for awhile with him in FWCC and it was comfy, but my lower back would have tired after awhile because of how far away from me he was leaning. FWCC requires a long wrap. Mine is a long size 5 Vatanai Tibet, about 4.4m.


Then I tried PWCC with a woven for the first time. I almost skipped it because it seemed so similar, but I'm so glad I didn't. It was great! SO much tighter and more poppable than FWCC.Max seemed to like it reasonably well, even though it was so snug. It would be great for napping.


These days, I tend to prefer shorter wrap variations of FWCC. One is the FWCC tied under bum, or short FWCC.

Another good one (also a pretty carry) is the Semi-FWCC. I like to tie with a slipknot to make it easy to lower for nursing. Unfortunately, Max got bored while trying this one, so he's kinda low and cockeyed in the pic. This is a good carry; just not doing it justice in the pic.

Finally, the Half-FWCC is nice and supportive with the crossover in the back, so I like it better than a ring sling, even though baby's position is similar. I like to slip-knot this one as well. It would be pretty, if I hadn't decided to use my 4m DIY osnaburg. Not pretty :).


Incidentally, I did the carry below accidentally. Apparently it is possible to do a FWCC tied at the shoulder. Might be nice if you're using a really long wrap, so you don't step on the tails.

I think FWCC is one carry where I prefer every single variation to the actual base carry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment