Monday, September 13, 2010

Double Hammock (DH)

Down to the last few carries of COTW! I have to admit, I joined in the thread in time to try all of these, but I'll duplicate them here and see if the extra practice changes my first impressions of them.

Double Hammock is my favorite back carry. That said, it isn't perfect, and I've found it extremely challenging. My biggest problem is getting it tight enough. Max always ends up sagging, no matter what I try. So this time, I tried it with my 4m DIY osnaburg, because it is short, requiring a tight wrap job, and it's very grippy. I wrapped, then walked around the block to test saggy-ness. Unfortunately, my stiff, unforgiving osnaburg caused another problem I sometimes run into--the shoulder straps were quickly very diggy, even after sandwiching. So I modified as a walked, turning them into a chest belt. Then, the chest knot dug :(. Plus, in moving the straps around, major saggy-ness happened. I'm not sure how. I ended up tying under bum and dealing with it, but my shoulders were quickly tired out. Hmm. This carry has so much potential, but I can never get it quite right.
Chest belt...didn't like it too much.



I did recently "invent" a modified DH--really a Triple Hammock, with the leg crosses built in and the ability to tie off at the shoulder. The link is to a YouTube demo I made last week. I still have the sagging issue because it's hard to keep all those passes tight, but it is very wiggle-proof, supportive as anything, and it's nice to be able to switch the shoulder positions easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment