Saturday, September 4, 2010

Starting at the end: Wiggleproof Back Carry

Wiggleproof carry is actually this week's Carry of the Week on The Babywearer, so for that reason, I started with this one, even though it's the very last carry in the sequence. They aren't really in order of difficulty, so it shouldn't matter.

Wiggleproof is basically a rucksack carry with the passes done backward and spread over the baby's back.

I didn't do so well with this one, but I still really like it. I like it because it's similar to a rucksack carry but much more supportive, the baby sits nice and high (which Max prefers), and it's really easy to do safely. The problem is that it's hard to get the passes spread up and over his back, which isn't necessary safety-wise, but is kind of the whole point of the carry.

I succeeded in making a nice second pass, but first one didn't get over his back. It's perfectly safe, but it's not quite right.On the plus side, we were at Duke Gardens, which made for a lovely setting for the photos! On the minus side (but maybe makes it less my fault that I didn't do such a great job), I didn't have a mirror to check my work as I wrapped.

Wrapping (I used my 3.6m BBSlen Turkish Delight):

Almost done. There are a few ways to tie this one off, so I had to figure out what I had enough length for.
One side. I ended up tightening more because his knee was hanging so far below his bum. He actually ended up seated OK once I did that.
He kept his arm in on this side, which worked out fine. You can see the unspread pass, but I did get it nice and snug. This ended up quite comfy for me, but (like rucksack carries always seem to do), Max had some red marks under his knees. It's kinda his fault though--he's a terrible leg-straightener, always trying to stand up in the wrap. I suppose he wouldn't do it if the chafing actually bothered him.

EDIT: (9/5/10) I tried this again today and decided that, like ruck, I tend to try to carry Max too high. My muscles between my shoulders were sore in about 10 minutes. Need to try this just a bit lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment