Saturday, September 4, 2010

Second experiment today: Simple Hip Carry

I actually tried two different carries today, in the spirit of getting things moving on this blog. Also, it was a gorgeous day for early September (not too hot/humid), and we were out walking at Duke Gardens. This carry was quite successful as it turns out to be super-easy. It was OK in comfort for me, and great for Max in that he had no pressure marks whatsoever on his chubby little legs. I'm pretty sure I did this carry right, although the wrap was initially tied too loose and I cheated and had Casey tighten the knot in the back for me. I think with practice, you'd get a feel for just where to tie the knot so that you end up with a perfectly-sized pouch. With the slightly too big pouch, I had to flip the shoulder twice to snug Max up, and his knees still could have been higher. Pic (wrap is BBSlen Turkish Delight 3.6m again):


Max doesn't look thrilled, haha. He was hot. Anyway, I love the simplicity of this carry. You could do it with any simple piece of cloth long enough to knot around you. But I'm not sure I'd use it unless I was in a hurry and only had a shorty (or a long towel, or something, LOL). I think I've used ring slings too much, and I prefer the fine tuning you can do with either a RS or a wrap tied with a rebozo knot. I felt like I had to keep a hand on Max to secure him. Also, the knot tied in back was digging at my backbone. I'm sure I'll mention this in a lot of carries, but it's because I suspect it is true: I'm very skinny, and I think I need a really good wrap job or a really cushy wrap (or both!) to be truly comfy.

Then again, this might be the perfect carry for an older kid who wants lots of ups and downs and has enough concept of balance that he won't try to lean right out of the wrap (a la Max). I'll keep this in mind to try again in a year or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment