Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ruck Carries, Part I : Ruck Tied in Front (RTIF), Ruck Tied Tibetan (RTT) and Reinforced Ruck (RR)

OK, more wrapping! I don't anticipate continuing trying carries at this rate, but we've done a lot of these early ones before, and it's a holiday weekend :). So why not??

We were able to knock out the first round of ruck variations pretty quickly. Reading the COTW thread, it seemed like the consensus was that it's important to get a ruck high and tight, but not TOO high, and to use a slightly thicker, cushier wrap than one might prefer for other, more layered carries. Also, the key is to get a good, deep pocket that isn't too tight.

I re-fell in love with my 4.1m Natibaby Pearl doing these. I bought it for rucking, then learned double hammock and wasn't using it because it's a little short. I have it listed for sale, but now I might keep it. Ruck is so much quicker than DH, and (for me) more reliably comfy. I have had problems with diggy shoulders using my other wraps, but the Natibaby is sooo snuggly soft. It's a little warm in the current 90+ degree heat, but fall is just around the corner. Today, I also found a variation on RTIF that I really like!

Picture time (again, excuse rough hair. It's the weekend!). I did do all of these with the same ruck, just moving the tails around. He was reasonably well-seated, but wiggled a bit between carries; I think I could have had a deeper pocket. And I would normally always tie off with a double-knot for these carries, but got a little lazy because I knew I was going to be adjusting the tails.
Standard RTIF. A little low, but I was focusing on NOT getting him too high, thereby avoiding making the muscles between my shoulders sore.

Ruck tied Tibetan (RTT). Quite comfy.
Reinforced ruck (RR). Sorry about the sun washout. Not bad, but I don't think I flipped the wrap over before doing the back passes. The reverse side of the wrap should show on those reinforcing passes. Apparently, you can also do the passes as rebozo passes, not running under the baby's legs. Didn't try that variation because I have quite the wiggler.
My new favorite variation: Ruck TIF with a lexi twist. I'm not entirely sure this is right, but it's safe and it works! The twist holds the baby right against you so there's less weight in the ruck straps. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment